NSTEDB, established in 1982 by the Government of India under the aegis of Department of Science & Technology, is an institutional mechanism to help/promote knowledge driven and technology intensive enterprises. The Board, having representations from socio-economic and scientific Ministries/Departments, aims to convert "job-seekers" into "job-generators" through Science & Technology (S&T) interventions. The objectives of NSTEDB are:
- To promote and develop high-end entrepreneurship for S&T manpower as well as self-employment by utilising S&T infrastructure and by using S&T methods.
- To facilitate and conduct various informational services relating to promotion of entrepreneurship.
- To network agencies of the support system, academic institutions and Research & Development (R&D) organisations to foster entrepreneurship and self-employment using S&T with special focus on backward areas as well.
- To act as a policy advisory body with regard to entrepreneurship.
- Under the umbrella of NIDHI, several programs such as Grand challenges & competitions for scouting for innovations, Support for converting idea to prototype, Entrepreneur-In-Residence, Support to student startups in academic institutions, Technology Business Incubator (TBI), Accelerator, Seed support system and Centers of Excellence are offered.